Turkey with suspected dog bite

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katemckw, Aug 29, 2016.

1. katemckw

katemckw New Egg

Aug 29, 2016
    My lovely turkeys are very interested in the kennel dogs next door much to my dismay! They live to stand at the kennels and it's with great suspicion that today one of the turkeys has an injury to her face. I think the injury has covered her nostrils (I'm new to this and not sure if all the correct terminology). She seems listless and now has clear bubbles coming out of her eright eye. I've looked up possible causes of the bubble eye but think it's down to the injury. I'm going to call the vets tomorrow but in the meantime does anyone have any suggestions on what to do for the short term?
    Thank you in advance!

2. Ecrewe

Ecrewe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2016
    Hi katemckw

I've had a few cases of injured birds and I find that the most important thing is to keep the bird calm. So I would place the turkey in a dark box. The next step would be to disinfect the wound. If you have a bird friendly antiseptic spray or solution use that. If not, salt water, colloidal silver, 1 percent hydrogen peroxide or diluted tea tree oil should also help. Good luck with you turkey!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by