1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkey with swollen cheeks

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by CakePrincess21, Feb 6, 2012.

1. CakePrincess21

CakePrincess21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2011
    I finished cleaning him up her beak was covered in hardened boogers and some feathers. She eats normally and drinks water fine. I seperated her from my other turkeys. My turkey pen is next to some sheep and across from it is a chicken pen. My other animals are fine, most of my sheep are pregnant and are having their kids this month. None of the chickens look sick either. The other turkys haven't caught anything. Here's the picts after she's all cleaned up.

[​IMG]

2. MNShepherdess

MNShepherdess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Minnesota
    Looks like sinovitis (spelling?). Basically like a sinus infection. We usually give them a shot of Tylan 200 for 3 days, but I can't remember the dosage off hand. Hopefully someone else will remember dosage. Otherwise you can probably give Tylan 50 in the water. I've found it seems like turkeys are the best at picking this up, guineas almost never lol

3. CakePrincess21

Sep 17, 2011
    ok I'll see if i can find tylan in my feed store.

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
  5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    How is your turkey doing?

6. CakePrincess21

Sep 17, 2011
    I ordered Tylan and right now im waiting for it to be mailed. My turkey seems to stumble a lot over her feeding tray and keeps dumping the food. Her nose isn't running as much. Anything else i can do while i wait for the Tylan?

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Tylan is all that I can think of. When will the Tylan be there for you?

8. CakePrincess21

Sep 17, 2011
    about a week or 2

9. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Might want to place feeder up on something so she can't tip it over. If she isn't eating as much you could try augmenting with some crushed hard boiled eggs and/or meal worms. Does she roost? If not, is she off the ground at night (straw/wood chips/etc)?
    Needs to be on clean bedding. Could also try 4 drops of Polyvisol Enfamil (no iron), infant vitamins, a day for a week and taper off (place on torn up grapes/cut up peaches etc.).

You might be able to find Terramycin/Duramycin in feed/farm supply store. The powder is added to the water. Could be useful while waiting on the Tylan (secondary infection is the biggest threat).

10. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    I saw a post where someone drained the sinus from a peacock, by cutting the bottom of the sinus and squeezing the stuff out.

your bird probably can't see from the swelling

If the meds don't work, or they take too long to get there, you may have to drain them yourself to give him some relief.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by