1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Turkey with swollen eye

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by klguthrie, Sep 18, 2013.

1. klguthrie

klguthrie Hatching

Sep 18, 2013
    I purchased five 1 week old turkey poults 18 weeks ago. 3 of the 5 had one eye that was only slightly open and they could not see out of the eye. Over the next 18 weeks the eye issue has not resolved; however otherwise they seem to be fine. They all have a swollen lump over they eye that is closed. I don't have a vet in my area that looks at turkeys. Does anyone know what this could be?
    [​IMG]

2. Looks like sinus issues. Due to the swelling of the eye. And it looks like some nasal discharge. You might want to get some Duramycin/tetracycline or Tylan 50. Both can be purchased at a Local Tractor Supply Co. if you have one. The Duramycin goes into the water supply, so if you need to treat more birds. That might work.

Tylan-50 can be given in the muscle or orally. I personally us the Tylan-50, both orally and as a shot, and have had great results. Here is a chart on how to give Tylan-50 orally, just copy and pasted.

"Approx. how much does the bird in question weigh? You will need 35mg/kg of body weight. To underdose could mean you build a resistant strain of bacteria. You will want to dose at a rate of 35mg/kg every other day for 3 days. This is how I dose out my birds, and it has worked every time.
    If 2.2lbs = 1kg or 0.455kg = 1lb;
    -- then a 10lb bird is 4.6kg.
    -- -- at a rate of 35mg/kg = 161mg of Tylan50 needed to treat
    -- -- -- if each ml of Tylan50 is 50mg, then 3.2cc (or 3 1/5ths cc) is needed for treatment.
    Using these measurements;
    -- a 1lb bantam would be 0.3cc
    -- a 2lb bantam would be 0.6cc
    -- a 4lb standard would be 1.3cc
    -- a 5lb standard would be 1.6cc
    -- a 10lb young turkey would be 3.2cc
    -- a 15lb turkey would be 4.8cc
    -- a 20lb turkey would be 6.4cc
    -- a 25lb turkey would be 8.0cc
    This is only good for Tylan50. If you are dosing using Tylan200, please remember that it is 4 times as concentrated as the former. I hope this helps."

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  3. klguthrie

klguthrie Hatching

Sep 18, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by