Turkey with swollen foot/possible break?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gemjar82, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Gemjar82

Gemjar82 Hatching

Apr 22, 2019
    Durham UK
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I wanted to ask everyonese opinion on my female Kelly bronze turkeys big toe. She's been to the vet and they gave pain killers and told us to bath in warm water with iodine. So far the toe looks no different after a week!! No puss came out when the vet popped a needle into the toe and I took a couple of black scabs off the sole of her foot and also nothing! Could it just be broken?

Attached Files:

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @Gemjar82 :frow Welcome To BYC
    Can you post some photos of the bottom of the foot?

You mention some black scabs? This sounds like Bumblefoot.

3. Gemjar82

Gemjar82 Hatching

Apr 22, 2019
    Durham UK
    Hey, I've actually soaked and pulled the scabs off but there wasn't any puss. Here is the feet bottoms now.....

Attached Files:

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Looks like Bumblefoot / Contact Dermatitis.
    Pulling the scabs off doesn't always get the infection out. Poultry pus is a semi-hard cheese like substance. It would have to be removed.
    The soakings may help raise the infection to where you can finally pull them out.
    Bumblefoot is basically treated the same for all poultry. You can try a less invasive method of soaking in epsom salts, dry well, apply CLEAR (Decolorized) Iodine, wrap the foot, keep her on clean dry bedding. Check it the next day to see if the bumble has loosened and you can remove the kernel, if not repeat.

Alternatively soaking then cutting out the infection may need to be done - consult your vet about that approach.

upload_2019-4-22_15-47-3.png

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: