1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkey with swollen oozy eye and sneezing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chasehope, Apr 21, 2007.

1. chasehope

chasehope Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    We have an 8 week old turkey who was fine this morning and then when we came home this evening its eye was puffy and gooed shut, so I soaked it and got it to open up and when I did milky liquid came out. Its still very puffy under the eye towards the beak. I didn't see anything in the eye to cause irritation. He is also sneezing quite abit. His other eye looks fine. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are VERY attached to this little guy.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Sounds to me like he has a cold....you might need to get some antibiotics...and vitamins for him. Check your local feed store. Good luck, and let us know!

3. chasehope

chasehope Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    any suggestions for antibiotics? I have never given a chicken antibiotics. will I need to treat everybody?

4. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    The feedstores usually have some powdered antibiotic in their refrigerators. I'm at work right now and can't recall the name of what I use, but it's in a white and yellow foil packet, and costs about $6. You'll need to be able to measure out in grams.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by