Turkey with swollen wattle and top of head swollen

Zeezuur

Hatching
Aug 27, 2018
I was feeding today and found our last turkey with a swollen wattle and the top of head swollen. I haven't given anything to him and he seems to act normal, he does have a bit of a slower pace but nothing too out of the ordinary.

I tried massaging it to see what it felt like and it was full of liquid/fluids but with foam or something if that makes any sense. There's also been a bit of foam that kept coming back to one eye and the wattle is drooping to the side.
My only theory is that maybe it's related to a huge storm that just passed by my place yesterday but that's about it.

I tried looking this up online but most were either unsolved or ranged from allergies to the bird flu.
There's not many vets around my area and most are a good distance away.

Attachments

• 0125201601.jpg
    0125201601.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 59
What part of the world are you located? Have you noticed any wasps or bees that might have stung his head? There is a disease in turkeys called swollen head syndrome, which is a pneumovirus that can cause these symptoms. Here is some information about that disease:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/avian-metapneumovirus/overview-of-avian-metapneumovirus
I'm in the U.S (North carolina) We do have some wasps and bees around the area but i haven't seen them in a while. It's possible he ran into one or something.
Thank you though! Im definitely gonna check out that link and look for some treatment options.

You might try giving some benadryl once to him to see if the swelling goes down by tomorrow. The swollen head disease is not very common in the US, so it might just be swelling from a sting. At least I hope so.

Back
Top Bottom