Turkey won;t eat and has rattly breathing. Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Astrolover13, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Astrolover13

Astrolover13 In the Brooder

Jun 6, 2012
    Yesterday my turkey was fine and acting normal. She was eating and following me around and was letting me pet her. Today she seems very reserved, she won't eat, and when she breathes she sounds very rattily and flemmy. I've looked at a list of diseases and there's just so many I have no clue what it is. I'm hoping it's not blackhead because I haven't noticed any yellow diarrhea. Also, she has a blue head (Royal Palm) so it's hard to tell if she is turning blue/purple from blackhead. Please help identify the disease and how I can help treat her, She's my baby girl, like a dog, and I don't want to lose her. Thank you.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It doesn't sound like blackhead or histomonas, but I'm not a turkey expert. Turkeys can get mycoplasma (MG or CRD) and coryza which can cause respiratory symptoms. Antibiotics such as Tylan injections or Tylan powder or oxytetracycline in the water may help treat symptoms. Some strains are milder than others. Coryza tends to have a rotten odor. Unfortunately these are contagious (to other fowl) and carrier diseases for life. Read down this list of common diseases, and you will find information on those two: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. Astrolover13

Jun 6, 2012
    Thank you. I am treating her with an oral dose of Tylan 50 (1cc) twice a day. I have been force feeding her dog food and banana. I've heard about scrambled egg but unfortunately I cooked all I had last night before I realized she was sick.

Her symptoms:
    Rattly breathing (no discharge)
    VERY runny feces but not too yellow (some yellow but also some dark brown)
    Lethargy
    Does not want to eat or drink

Any other suggestions on what I can do for her? I've heard turkey give up easy and I don't want her to just give up. I almost lost her erlier in the year in a barn fire and I don't want to lose her now.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If she were mine I would weigh her daily, worm her with Safeguard, start her on metronidazole and tube feed her is she wasn't drinking and eating. You say you're giving 1cc of Tylan by mouth twice a day, but you don't say how much she weighs. 1cc is only 50mg which will not be enough for a large bird.

Can you post a picture of her poop?

-Kathy

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  5. Astrolover13

Jun 6, 2012
    Been doing some research and bumped her up to 3x a day of Tylan. I think she weighs about 15 pounds. Don't know how to post pictures but tonight poop was liquidy green. Earlier it was liquidy dark brown, yellow, and white. I've been force feeding her mashed up banana and softened dog food. I did see her drinking water on her own.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    At 15 pounds she's about 7kg and I think your Tylan dose is still way too low, but I haven't used it orally before and can't recommend a dose because of that. Do some research and find something that says how many mg/kg and how often you should give it.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by