Turkey wound

turkeyfoot

Hatching
Sep 5, 2016
Our white tom turkey had a bit of a wind injury, but seemed to be okay for last handful of days..yesterday he didn't come out of coop..& even more listless today. Isolated him separate today & found injury/wound at elbow/joint are of wing. Seems like bone practically at surface. Swear I small worms/maggots??!!? He let me clean w peroxide & Q tips. Applied a antibiotic salve but when checking on him couple hours after, he seemed to have picked at it enough to make bleed!
Help!
He will eat & drink if I hold it up to him.

Any suggestions!!?! Thanks!

Try putting Blue-Kote on it. It is a spray-on medication that seals the wound as well as heals it. Most farms stores including TSC sell it. Hope your turkey gets well!

Last edited:
Need to get a systemic antibiotic in that turk
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ne...&order=descending&Search=SEARCH&Search=SEARCH

A "contained" wound in soft tissue, even with maggots, can often be flushed with Betadine/debrided and treated with BluKote/Durvet Scarlet Oil Wound Dressing, etc. with good results. Injuries where bones are exposed/broken are difficult to treat, PERIOD. Listlessness, and generalized malaise are indicative of the infection having become systemic and a systemic antibiotic might allow for the boy to fend off demise and for aggressive treatment of wound to proceed.

Best of luck!

Our white tom turkey had a bit of a wind injury, but seemed to be okay for last handful of days..yesterday he didn't come out of coop..& even more listless today. Isolated him separate today & found injury/wound at elbow/joint are of wing. Seems like bone practically at surface. Swear I small worms/maggots??!!? He let me clean w peroxide & Q tips. Applied a antibiotic salve but when checking on him couple hours after, he seemed to have picked at it enough to make bleed!
Help!
He will eat & drink if I hold it up to him.

Any suggestions!!?! Thanks!
Welcome to BYC! Were you able to get all of the maggots out/off? Do like @ivan3 suggested, buy some betadine, clean it and give injectable penicillin which you can get at most feed stores.

According to the books I have, the penicillin dose is 0.15 ml per pound in the breast muscle once a day.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom