Turkeys and chickens socializing together

turksinmaine

Chirping
May 28, 2015
Is this bad or rare to have problems with them housed together. When I first started all this not long ago most of my research was most were saying to never have the two together at all for the dangers of the turkeys catching disease and dying, yet I see in here not a few but many of you have them together. So this is very confusing what one should do. What are the risks? is it rare? how do you prevent it from happening wherin you have them together.

Is this bad or rare to have problems with them housed together. When I first started all this not long ago most of my research was most were saying to never have the two together at all for the dangers of the turkeys catching disease and dying, yet I see in here not a few but many of you have them together. So this is very confusing what one should do. What are the risks? is it rare? how do you prevent it from happening wherin you have them together.

If Blackhead is present in your area, you should not keep turkeys together or even on the same ground that chickens have been kept on. It is still possible to keep them together if you are willing to risk losing turkeys and are prepared to treat the turkeys with the proper medicine in time to keep the turkeys alive.

If Blackhead is not present in your area you can keep chickens and turkeys together. There are plenty of areas that Blackhead is not present, in particular areas with sandy soil.

Use the search function as there is lots of information posted about Blackhead and at least several posters who if not experts on the subject are really close to being experts.

@casportpony is very knowledgeable on the subject of Blackhead.

I worry about blackhead... Pets or food? If they're pets, get a bottle of metronidazole (Fish-Zole, AquaZole, Flagyl, Meditrich, etc.) and get a bottle of Baytril. Metronidazole is banned for use in *all* food animals, Baytril is banned for use in poultry, so that's something to think about.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom