Turkeys and chickens together question??

ginbart

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 9, 2008
Bloomsburg, PA
I was told you should not put turkeys and chickens together because the turkeys can get black heads. Is this true and what are black heads?

Does that mean their heads will get black or black heads like people get on their face.
sickbyc.gif
Sorry don't mean to sound gross just want to know because we have turkey eggs in the bator.

How much space away from each other should they be?

Thanks for help everyone.

Chickens can give Turkeys blackhead (no it is not as you think-just the common name for a disease) but ONLY if the chickens you have are carriers.

If using artificial brooding then you need chicks in with poults to teach them how to eat and drink.

I've had turkeys and chickens together for years with no problems. Well, I say no problems. As the toms get older they tend to like to pick on the cock birds; so you do have to watch that.

For more about blackhead in poultry: I suggest Gail Damerow's 'Chicken Health Handbood' or google it.

gin,
That will actually be great. It will give the chicks a week to get use to your setup and get a little size on them. Interestingly enough, at hatch there is not a great difference in the size of a poult and a standard bred chicken.
Hope this has been of help to you.
saladin

I raise them together & as long as Blackhead Disease isn't a problem in your area you shoulde be ok. A bonus is that the turkey's will provide some protection from Marek's Disease-they shed a similar virus which serves as a sort of a vaccine for chickens.

Quote:
They are doing great.
fl.gif
Getting big and I can really see the difference in yours compared to my RIR's. I will take some pics for you as soon as I can get new rechargeable battery’s. Thanks for asking.

Back
Top Bottom