turkeys and chickens

slugmar

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
My dad was saying i should get acouple turkeys to go with the chickens for tday was wondering if the turkeys and chickens would get along in the same coop and pen when raising them both up ?

lau.gif

I didn't think you'd actually do it!!!!

Technically they could, but the same goes for chickens with other chickens...
My turkeys and chickens have shared the same area for years now and while sometimes one of my polish roos will get all dumb and start puffing up his hackles at them trying to show off to the ladies, the worst that ever happens is he winds up getting chased in circles, lol. I suppose it would depend on what breeds of each you are intending to keep together. Of course if you get hot-tempered breeds of each and put them together, bad things are bound to happen. Just do some research on friendly breeds of each if you don't know what to get.

Personally, for turkeys I would recommend either Bronze, or Spanish Black for their nice temperments.

Edit: Also, getting them at a young age, raising them together will totally integrate them into one little mixed up flock, lol (or if that isn't and option, keep them in adjacent but separate pens so they can get used to eachother and you can observe their interactions and attitudes towards eachother for a time).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom