Turkeys and chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by brandibaby23, Dec 25, 2010.

1. brandibaby23

brandibaby23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    Would chickens and turkeys be ok to free range together? Would they hurt each other?

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Been free ranging them together for years, but some people worry about blackhead, but I've never had it here.

3. brandibaby23

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    What is black head?

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Best you research, better explanation than a one- finger typist can do. [​IMG]

5. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I know plenty of people who do this and house them together. They don't seem to even know each other exist.

6. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Many people have no problem. I have had difficulties with turkeys bullying chickens in a free range situation. A friend lost a rooster to a turkey attack.

We're going to process and eat the remaining turkeys over the next couple of months, and only raise 3 or 4 a year, staring with babies in the spring so they grow up with the new chicks. If we allowed the ones we have now to survive through next year I have no doubt they would kill the baby chicks as we begin to let them out to free range at about 6 weeks of age. It is too bad, we have loved raising the turkeys and really enjoy their outgoing personalities.

7. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    I have always had Turkeys and chickens together. If it was me I would just get rid of aggressive ones think they had personality that was not too good with getting along and get different males.

8. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    i know people who raise them together with no problem.

9. brandibaby23

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    Thank you all I don't have any turkeys but was just curious because I wanted to hatch a turkey egg or two but have not really decided if I am going to yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by