1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Turkeys And Chickens?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by FarmerBoy24, Sep 14, 2011.

1. FarmerBoy24

FarmerBoy24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    If I have some turkeys and chickens together will the chickens get diseases Many people tell me that but I want to clarify it. If so what breeds?

2. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Sometimes turkeys kept with chickens can contract a disease called Black Head. Chickens can carry it but be asymptomatic, but turkeys are much more susceptible to it. I personally run my turkeys and chickens together because the turkeys will protect "their" flock, and I don't know many stray cats, possums, or even coons that want to tangle with a full grown tom turkey, but I do this knowing I'm taking a chance. Knock on wood, I have never had a problem with Black Head, but then my birds have lots of room even in their pen, so that could be a factor.

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    My turkey lives with my chickens. I would ask around if people near you have poultry, maybe they can tell you if blackhead is prevalent in your area?

4. FarmerBoy24

FarmerBoy24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    What is exactly Blackhead? And what are the symptoms?

5. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
  6. robyn1976

robyn1976 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2011
    Doylestown
    I wondered the same thing when I got my turkeys I went to the local feed store and they told me blackhead is not a issue in Our area! He did tell me to worm everyone every 6 months! My turkeys have Thier own coop but they free range with the chickens and we have had no problem! Best of luck

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by