1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkeys and chickens

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by jgiajnorio, Feb 25, 2013.

1. jgiajnorio

jgiajnorio Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Can I raise turkey chicks with my chicken chicks in the same brooder at the same time?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have. It's even recommended to have a couple of "tutor" chicks to help the poults figure out how to drink and eat.

:)

1 person likes this.
  3. flocksalot

flocksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Poynette WI

Starting and brooding them together is fine, but remember chicks feather out quicker and are ready to go out quicker than turkeys. You would just need to keep on eye on the turkeys and make sure they are doing ok. Chicks will also step all over and climb on top of turkeys, so watch those gentle little twerps.

I usually have a few chicks in with my poults to start. They make great teachers showing the turkeys where the food and water are.

1 person likes this.
  4. jgiajnorio

Apr 4, 2011
    Great. This is very helpful. My laying hens are now on a game bird layer, can I start my turkeys on chick starter and feed then the same as the chicks and then hens as they mature?

5. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    You need to start the turkeys on turkey or game bird starter. They require a higher % protein than the chickens need. When starting chicks and poults together, I use turkey starter for all of them.

1 person likes this.
  6. flocksalot

flocksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Poynette WI

That's exactly what I do. Game bird starter. I think it might actually be a bit smaller crumble too which is better for them to start with.

I don't know anything about game bird layer mix. I feed my turkeys, ducks and geese feed specifically for the. I think some people use an all flock and then just provide oyster shell. Now that's not saying my turkeys won't follow me down the hill to the chicken coops and go eat the chicken feed. Grass is always greener you know.

1 person likes this.
  7. harrybird

harrybird New Egg

Feb 3, 2013
    From the miller hatcheries website:
    Blackhead disease, or more correctly, histomoniasis, is primarily a disease of young turkeys. Chickens are more resistant to the effects of the infection but may act as carriers of the disease-causing organism. Histomoniasis is caused by a microscopic protozoan called Histomonas Meleagridis.

The protozoa-causing blackhead may remain infective within the eggs of the cecal worms in the soil for nearly three years; therefore each flock of new turkeys should be raised on new uncontaminated ground. Young turkeys should never be reared near older turkeys or with chickens that may carry the infection. In addition to domestic chickens, various wild birds such as pheasant and grouse may serve as reservoirs of infection for domestic turkeys.

1 person likes this.
  8. jgiajnorio

Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks everyone for all their help. This is all very useful. I plan on raising them together, away from my current hens until they are older and bigger. Since the chicks and turkeys come from the same hatchery, I'm hoping that may eliminate some of the concern for disease

9. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    It will because hatcheries have to be inspected and tested so they won't spread diseases. I also hatch out chicks with my poults. Only I hatch the chicks a few days before, so they are old enough to teach the poults and I remove them after the first week and brood the poults for at least 6 weeks before moving them to larger quarters. I do not put them outside until they are 8 to 12 weeks old, depending on the weather. When you first put them outside, put them where there is no danger of drafts or wet conditions.[​IMG]

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by