Turkeys and Geese

BirdManInMo

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 26, 2017
Central Missouri
I have Turkeys, Chickens and Guineas now and for the most part they all get along with each other pretty well.

I was thinking about getting 2 or 3 Canada Goose goslings to add to my flock.

Does anyone have any experience with having turkeys and geese together ?

thanks!

I have Turkeys, Chickens and Guineas now and for the most part they all get along with each other pretty well.

I was thinking about getting 2 or 3 Canada Goose goslings to add to my flock.

Does anyone have any experience with having turkeys and geese together ?

thanks!

Be sure to get your permits in order before you order any Canada Goose goslings.

You are more likely to get better information about geese by posting in the Geese forum.

Last edited:
I see that there are several hatcheries offering Canadian goslings but at this time they are out of stock.

I am not going to raid a nest or get any wild canadian geese.

I guess I need to post in the geese forum and ask like you suggested.

I was just wondering if anybody had them together in the past and if they got along ?

Thanks for the input !

Last edited:
I see that there are several hatcheries offering Canadian goslings but at this time they are out of stock.

I am not going to raid a nest or get any wild canadian geese.

I guess I need to post in the geese forum and ask like you suggested.

I was just wondering if anybody had them together in the past and if they got along ?

Thanks for the input !

Yes those hatcheries have the proper permits to be able to have those birds. Since they are not considered a domestic goose, they fall under the regulations of the Migratory Bird Act. The state that you live in may or may not have provisions in their laws to allow ownership of Canada Geese. If they don't provide for those permits, then it would be illegal to own them. If your state provides permits for their ownership, they typically require the purchase of the permit and inspection of the property before you can actually have the geese. Typically there will be a requirement that the geese must be contained in a pen that has flight netting over the top in order to prevent their escape. Even if you are able to get a permit, you will not be allowed to free range the geese.

The hatcheries that sell birds that require a permit normally have a disclaimer in small print stating that you are responsible for any permits that your state requires. Some of those hatcheries even have links to your state laws. Having had pheasants (requires a permit in my state) in the past I am well aware of these disclaimers.

As far as your claim that you aren't going to raid a wild nest, to the best of my knowledge there are no states that would provide a permit to allow a person to do that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom