Turkeys are done

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ProductionRed09, Nov 22, 2009.

1. ProductionRed09

ProductionRed09 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2009
    Kodak
    Today was slaughter day, neighbors came over and killed the two turkeys and the roo, I plucked and then we all gutted, washed them out and I put them in their salty ice bath.

I did not take any pictures, besides once they started the killing process I was told I lost all color in my face and looked like I was going to pass out. But that passed and I was able to watch the second turkey and the roo get killed.

It is not as bad as I thought it would be, and I did enjoy the plucking..I know I was already told I am weird [​IMG]

But it is done and I will consider getting more turkeys next year, it all depends on finances..

2. I would love to have a FRESH turkey for thanksgiving dinner! Maybe next year...if I can find some at a reasonable price!

3. card5640

card5640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Bangor area, Maine
    You are making me excited, mine go to Oven camp on Tuesday, my tom is pushing a live weight of 53 lbs now, how much did your weigh live then dressed?

4. ProductionRed09

Nov 6, 2009
    Kodak
    My biggest turkey who we called T-Rex because he was so huge dressed out at a whopping 35 pounds!!!! Live he was 54 pounds

The smaller one was dressed out at 27 pounds, live he was 38 pounds...Big birds, the smaller one is going to a friend of mine who has hit some very hard times, she was not planning on having Thanksgiving dinner for her family this year and they were going to pretend it was just another day. I will give her the turkey and a care package to make a full Thanksgiving dinner.

I am so glad when I bought a new stove, that I got the one with the larger oven, I hope T-Rex will fit [​IMG]

5. card5640

Mar 27, 2009
    Bangor area, Maine
    Last year we cooked a 47 lbs bird and it fit in my standard oven, w/ out a rack.

6. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Quote:Nice job!! We butchered 2 turkeys today ( still have SEVEN to go- already did 4!) Dressed weight on mine were 18.6 and 32.2 pounds.

7. card5640

Mar 27, 2009
    Bangor area, Maine
    That is very kind of you, I am sure they will be thrilled. When my grandparents had a turkey farm, we used to deliver birds to families she knew in town who needed a bird for the holiday, she would make up a big package and make a pie for them too. She always got them a tinfoil pan too. She swore me to secrecy that I would not tell others who we delivered to. I always make up some meals for some local homebound people in micro dishes so they can heat them up, they sure do love the potato rolls and pie.

I am disappointed to hear that our bird could have a 19 lb loss once dressed.

8. card5640

Mar 27, 2009
    Bangor area, Maine
    Nurse Netie, how big was the 32 lb bird before it was dressed out? Do you know?

9. ProductionRed09

Nov 6, 2009
    Kodak
    Quote:Good to know, I am a little worried because I have never in my life had such a large turkey before, but thrilled at the same time..They were so worth getting as chicks and raising them up, because I know what they have been fed and they have not been injected with anything to make them taste better..

Looking forward to tasting T-Rex on Thursday.

10. DCS

DCS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2008
    I did the same today - my sister was visiting so I had help. Getting them to the hanging-up-tree was the trickiest part, so I ended up whacking them in the head with a wrench to stun them, and then drug them out, hoisted them up and did the deed.

Mine dressed out at 32 and 29 lbs respectively, and there's a tom that we didn't get to. I guess he gets to be Mr. Christmas. There's also a hen that I'm sparing for now. I have no clue how much they weighed live, as I had no way to find out. (I had to go buy a scale tonight as I just HAD to know!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by