Turkey's as pets and food

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Ryoohkey, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Ryoohkey

Ryoohkey Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2013
    I'm thinking go getting a few turkeys this year for pets and food I've read that broad breast make the best for food but not pets would it be good to get 3 broad breast and a couple of other breeds looks like most people like the blue slake breed. I want at least 2 for pets to keep pesky cats away from my chickens any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank You

2. retlaw

retlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    buy a bunch of heritage the first year and save a few hand picked ones from the axe as your pets/breeders.
    then next year your pets will give your eggs that you eat right then or wait 9 months and feed the family.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Bourbon red are great dual purpose, they are nice and meat and also make good looking pets. I ordered 10 straight run from Ideal and keep 1 male and 2-3 females . Then next year I sell most of their poults and only keep about 5-10 for meat and replacements as necessary.

4. jdolder18

jdolder18 New Egg

Jan 8, 2014
    conny63malies

So, I have been wanting to get some turkeys for a while now and I want to house them with my chickens. I have read about the black head disease, is that really true? Do you know if the disease is common in Indiana by any chance? I don't really know what to do about it. We're thinking about raising some for meat and some to breed. Are there any good places online to order them without ordering them is such bulk?

Sorry for all the questions!
    Thanks!

5. juststruttin

juststruttin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    California
    I am wondering the same thing. I have steered clear of turkeys for this reason.

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Bourbon Reds all the way!

7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Call you county extension and ask. Look in the phone book for the number.

Make an informed decision-- no right or wrong , just keep them housed separately if you have a problem in the area.

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I will keep mine separate from the chickens. Not taking any chances. I'll build them a hoop coop and sep. run. I never owned turkeys before but did my research on breeds and care. I wanted nice looking meaty birds which let me to the bourbons. The fact that they are named after a Ky county helped too of course.

9. Ryoohkey

Ryoohkey Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2013
    thanks for the input and i looked up a few pic of those bourbon red turkeys and omg they are beautiful

10. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    X2

I LOVE my Bourbons!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by