1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Turkeys breeding and environment

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Happy Camper, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Happy Camper

Happy Camper Chirping

Jul 19, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    My turkeys began doing the love dance yesterday so I think they will be mating really soon and I should get my first turkey eggs soon. I know all this by reading turkey related material, since this is my first experience with turkeys... I have 4 turkeys with 4 ducks and a goat share an open fenced area.

None of them enter the "area" I designated as the "safe" spot for them to lay. I think they won't lay in the open area right ?(since the goat may smash their eggs)... Should I just check daily and collect any layed eggs I found around and icubate or make additional arrangements for them to lay and let the hens deal w everything.

Another question: can they decide just not to lay because of their environment?

I'd love to hatch some turkey eggs... [​IMG]

AH, another question... will they still mate/breed/hatch if I just move them to a secluded area or fence them up in a safer spot (but much smaller) w/ nests and the works?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I don't know the answers to your questions because I just recently began keeping turkeys. Here is what is happening at my place in SE Florida.

I have 3 turkeys, 2 toms & 1 hen. I've never seen them doing the "love dance" nor have I ever seen them actually "transacting business", didn't know if the toms were capable of mating with this hen. One tom is a Blue Slate, one tom is a Royal Palm mix, and the hen is some little brown-colored mix. Those last 2 were hatched here last summer.

I didn't even know the hen had begun laying until my son found her setting on a nest she'd made. Very fortunately she made her nest in a very safe place, a little secluded wire pen where I can latch her in for safety at night. I never let my hens of any type brood in a unprotected space, there are raccoons & opossums here who would harm them &/or their eggs.

I candled one of the eggs last night and saw veining & maybe a blob that is an embryonic turkey. I hope she has success with her hatch. And I hope your turkeys will also find the best place for their nests and hatch lots of poults for you!

3. Happy Camper

Happy Camper Chirping

Jul 19, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    Yeah! Veins... always a great sign. I have chicken eggs in an incubator and will be checking for veins tomorrow. That is always such an exciting thing:ya

I will be working on improving the nesting area and possibly separating them from the ducks and goat for a little while. Breeding season lasts only 6-8 weeks right? Which is not too long..

Enjoy your turkey hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by