turkeys chickens together

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by simple33, Jun 19, 2019.

1. simple33

simple33 Chirping

Apr 19, 2014
    i was wondering if i can hatch a turkey egg & later put him with my chicken flock of 6 girls.or let one of them hatch the egg. please advise thank you.

2. ShannonR

ShannonR Crowing

Sep 17, 2015
    You can, but the turkey will face higher health risks due to being housed with chickens. Lots of folks do it though.

If you can get a very dedicated broody she may hatch a (just one??) Turkey egg . Turkeys take 28 days to incubate and chickens 21 days to incubate. So you can't mix and match chicken and Turk eggs under a hen

aart likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Got my Puppy

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I have had toms raised with chicks kill a rooster at maturity. We butchered after that. Turkeys that are bonded to chickens or that are kept with chickens can harass or kill them. Turkeys are best housed and raised with other turkeys so they know what species they are. Everything can be fine up until it is not, than the chickens pay the price as turkeys can be relentless if something bothers them.

Willowspirit and chickens really like this.
  5. keesmom

keesmom Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    You may want to check to see if you have blackhead in your area. Chickens show no signs of it, but it will kill turkeys.

We've had turkeys on and off over the years with no issues, until the last bunch. We lost all of them at a month of age. It doesn't seem to affect the wild population though. I'm guessing they have some sort of resistance to it.

Willowspirit and ShannonR like this.
  6. simple33

simple33 Chirping

Apr 19, 2014
    thank you for your reply. i will think a bit more before i do anything. i have 2 small chickens in my flock & a turkey is a giant to them. thanks for the info.

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: