Turkeys doing the deed! How long til I see eggs?

PrairieFarmer

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 18, 2011
My almost 5 month old White Hollands were "attempting" the deed today (although they didn't look too successful...)! How long before I might start seeing eggs?

Tonight I watched my six week old turkey do the deed to two of his cage mates. I have never seen breeding in this young of a turkey before. I don't think it means they will lay soon. My fall turkeys might lay as early as summer the following year if it is not to hot.

Well, my turkeys did the deed as well. I had never seen an egg from either of my hens till one day my dog was barking. I knew that bark, it meant I was to come and see what she has found. Sure enough my dog found my hen hiding in the brush. Since we found her she decided later to get up. When I noticed her in the yard I immediately went to see how many eggs she was sitting on. I was also curious to see what they looked like. Their may have been about 6 eggs. When I went back the next day all the eggs were gone but one. About an hour later that egg was gone. It was warm too and I should have taken it and put it in the bator but I didn't.

I finally found her once again. Today she was out and all of a sudden she flew over my veggie garden. Strange, it's fenced so I guess she didn't want to walk around...... lol. I watched her go into a coop I set up for her. YAHOO....... she is safe and right next to all the other coops. I was hoping she wouldn't go back into the woods edge. I have no idea how many eggs and I don't plan on checking it out. I'll just wait. She is a young bird. From what the person told me she was hatched around June/July. It will be interesting to see if she hatches any babies. How long does it take for a turkey anyway?

Back
Top Bottom