Turkey's don't seem to be growing!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by acorn265, Oct 28, 2013.

1. acorn265

acorn265 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2013
    ChickenLand
    we have a few broad breasted white turkeys that we got in July, (they were 3 or 4 days old when we picked them up at the post office) and they don't seem to be getting very big. Currently they are just barely over knee high, and are still peeping like chicks. I was expecting them to be bigger by now. Is this normal? Will they be ready by November? Thanks a lot, I am new here [​IMG].

2. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    They don't sound that small. If they were still only two or three pounds a piece I might worry, but it sounds like they might be 10 pounds now? That would be all right. They will be ready. You should be feeding them feed in the 20 to 25% protein range. Lower protein equals slower growth. I start mine on 30% protein for about 4 to 6 weeks than switch to 24% until they are as big as I want. Then sometimes I will switch to something in the 16 to 18% range for finishing, sometimes 24% up yo the very end.

3. acorn265

acorn265 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2013
    ChickenLand
    Ok - thanks. They are probably about 10 lbs, and I will check and see if the feed they get is high enough protein. Thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by