Turkeys due to hatch July 17th... ***day 19 & peeping and pipping ***

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blkwdw, Jun 23, 2011.

1. blkwdw

blkwdw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    I have 12 Narrangansett turkey eggs, 1 peafowl egg, 8 duck eggs and will be putting in 12 silkie eggs (if I get them) this sunday, so they will all hatch out together. I know the humidity needs to be higher for the ducks, may try misting them or putting paper towel over them and keeping it moist... I am really looking forward to all of these hatching..after hatch..and I know this is counting my chickens before they hatch.. [​IMG] can they all be in the same brooder for a while? Do turkeys and/or ducks need different chick starter? Looking forward to this adventure..

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  2. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I have 3 turkeys due July 1st

3. blkwdw

May 29, 2011
    do you have a still air bator? The temp is still 99.5, correct?

4. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    No I have a Sportsman 1502, still airs are supposed to be at 101-102* forced air is 99.5*

5. blkwdw

May 29, 2011
    I need to bump it up some then. my humidity is about 45-50%

6. LadyBirdsPalace

LadyBirdsPalace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    UpNorth
    Hey there!

I have a batch due to start hatching July 13th and I have 3 Red Bourbon turkey eggs in there along with about 7 ducks eggs and 30 chicken eggs.

I have the duck eggs on one side and I mist them daily and keep the humidity between 50 - 60% for now.

As for afterwards (and I've never done this before either so I can't understand why I decided to start with a mixed batch to confuse myself [​IMG]) but I plan to keep the turkeys/chicks together and keep the ducklings elsewhere to start.

My reasoning with this was cause I was going to feed the first ones the medicated turkey starter out in my brooder and then I was going to feed my ducklings just some duck/goose starter and some mashed veggies, plus I read that the ducklings do better on towels as opposed to the pine shavings to begin with??? Oh who knows, maybe I'm overdoing it here - life would be easier if they could all be together but I just figured that once the bag of the medicated was finished I'd let them all move in together.

I have done hatchling turkeys/chicks before but this is my first crack with ducklings at all so I'm open to any additional info that's for sure...

7. blkwdw

May 29, 2011
    Well LadyBirdsPalace, you and I had the same idea... I thought I was the only one who would brave the odds and try mixed breed hatches..I too, have done chicks and turkeys, never ducks before and never peacocks...I will move the ducks to one side so I can mist. I thought about doing a candling this weekend..

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I'm sure I'll have something hatching. I just put more Ringneck Pheasant eggs in my incubator. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. blkwdw

May 29, 2011
    the 18 silkies go in tomorrow...I went to buy a dozen and they guy said "here's some extras!!" so I have 18!! I wonder if there's room in the incubator?? I'll just make room, going to candle tomorrow also, see whats cookin'
    (maybe a bad choice of words) [​IMG]

10. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Does everyone mist the turkey eggs? This is my first time hatching them. I have 7 in a R-Com Suro 20 with Temp at 99.5 and humidity 45. I just started them yesterday, so have quite a few days before hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by