turkeys dying and i dont know why...anyone help??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Jul 22, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i posted in the turkey section the other day about one of my poults being ill, she died shortly after displaying symptoms (wings hanging low, eyes closed, not eating or drinking, sleepy and lethargic, cant/wont stand or walk)
    just been out to feed the other 3 poults before bedtime and another has come down with these symptoms. ive brought her inside but shes declining faster than the first.
    this leaves me with just 2 x 12 week old poults.

can anyone give me any clue on what this could be or what i could try treating them with?? please?

2. crystalchik

crystalchik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2008
    Central Florida
    My first thought was Blackhead disease, which is common in turkeys. I got this off of a site: "A decrease in feed consumption and loss of weight may be the first signs observed. Sick birds appear dull and depressed, and often stand by themselves with dropping trails, ruffled feathers, and a sleepy appearance. Sulphur colored yellow droppings may be observed. "
    Here is the site, I have had infected peafowl and successfully treated them with Flagyl.

http://www.millerhatcheries.com/Information/Diseases/blackhead_disease.htm

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Do you keep your turkeys with or around chickens? If they come in contact with the chickens droppings, then it's possible they could have the blackhead disease. I am guessing though.

Sorry to hear that....

4. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    my first thought was blackhead, but they dont show the darkened head which normally comes with the disease?

5. crystalchik

crystalchik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2008
    Central Florida
    Actually, the name blackhead is very misleading. There really is no dark head associated with the disease. It is a parasite that actually resides in the liver and doesnt affect the head or color of the bird at all.

6. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    well seems it is BH, another sick one did the sulfur coloured poops last night [​IMG] we lost another last night [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by