Turkeys enjoying second day outside. (PICS)

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by reveriereptile, Mar 29, 2009.

1. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    Just moved my turkeys outside after having them in the barn for the winter. We have a giant white hen that we raised from a baby that we didn't eat and bought 4 others right before winter. We thought we had bought three females and one male. For two months we thought our bourbon red tom was a hen. He never strutted and had his snood shrunk up till one day he got out of the pen and started strutting, gobbling, making that hissing noise, and showing off to the other tom that was still in the pen. So we have a bourbon red pair and a blue slate pair. The blue slate tom is over 2.5 yrs. old while the white hen is the second oldest (hatched in June), and the others are a little younger than her. Two of the hens already made a nest between a chain link fence and an old bath tub. They were even sitting on the nests for a while even though we collected the eggs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    They are pretty.

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Where are your Toms' tail feathers? [​IMG]

4. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    they are HUGE!!! and very very cute.

5. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    Well they lost some and the others got all ragged from where we had them in a pen during the winter. Also some of their feathers got plucked out by a hen that didn't like one of the males. They had beautiful feathers before winter. Hopefully they grow more and the others get cleaned and straighten back out.

6. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    My tom shredded his feathers on the way home on Saturday against the sides of the carrier. I think he'll look just about as impressive as your two tail wise, lol. I'll have to look forward to when his tail falls out and grows back someday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by