1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkeys fighting?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by crazycluck, Apr 25, 2009.

1. crazycluck

crazycluck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    Norco, CA
    I have 2 royal palm turkeys that have been raised together. They are about a year old. Never have they fought until yesterday. When I got home from work yestersday I thought something had got into the pen, but today I see the ugly truth! They are fighting and about to kill each other. Should I try to find a new home for 1 of them? I love them both![​IMG]

2. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    are they male or female?

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    It's breeding season and yes they will hurt one another. They need to be seperated.

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

If you seperate them now you will have to keep the seperated. They are working out the "pecking order". Turkeys are flock birds and will fight. Once they sort it out they will be ok. Watch them for any major damage and if not let them be turkeys.

Steve in NC

5. crazycluck

crazycluck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    Norco, CA
    Both are male.[​IMG]

6. Lu King

Lu King Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    On the Titanic
    Quote:What months are considered "breeding" season?

7. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Quote:What he said for sure. I think breeding season ends at the end of May.

8. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I've had male turkeys live peaceably together after establishing who is dominant. I've found that there are worse problems with males coming into contact with each for the first time, than with males raised together. they will fight to establish pecking order though. Just watch for injuries.

9. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I keep thinking we should sell tickets... Some of ours will fight from sun up to sun down.

Steve

10. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    That is just turkeys being turkeys. Mine even try to fight each other through the poultry wire when they are seperated. Hens can have some pretty good "girl fights" also. It is really hilarious to see the little poults get fiesty with each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by