Turkeys-finished weight?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Looking4ewes, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Looking4ewes

Looking4ewes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2010
    What finished weight are you seeking in your turkeys? I had 4 toms processed ydy that were looking pretty big. They finished at 17 - 19 at 2 1/2 months of age. I started them at 27% protein but backed it down to 21% 3 weeks ago because I thought they were growing too fast. The hens I can grow for another month for Thanksgiving roasters. I am aiming for 15 - 18 lbs finished. I'll have one tom that will go over that but can keep him for myself if he doesn't sell. These turkeys seem to eat as much as the hogs, if not more, pound for pound.

2. okie2

okie2 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2011
    Were they penned or free range?
    I am planning next spring getting 25 white broad breasted turkeys.
    they grow to 34 lbs at 20 weeks (5 months) I believe.
    They should dress out at 25.5 lbs. each total (637.5 lbs)

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    They are going to stink, I had 2 and let me just say [​IMG]

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I raised both BBW and Bronze this year.

I processed 5 of them at 22 weeks... They were 36.0 bbw tom , 34.6 bbw tom, 28.7 brz tom, 23.7 bbw hen, and 19.5 brz hen. The other 4 I processed about 5 weeks later and had them smoked. They were all bronze and the tom weighed in at 35 and the 3 brz hens weighed 23, 22.6, and 21.4. The latter 4 to get processed, I planned on wintering over and keeping them for breeding, but they ate SO much food that I realized pretty quickly, that that wasn't for me. When I butchered the first 5, these 4 that I was going to keep went in with the chickens and got layer feed and free ranged. So the final 5 weeks, they weren't on any special diet to pack on the weight.

And I have to agree with mstricer...they stink, man do they stink! Especially if you get alot of rain. I don't care what you do, they have a certain aroma that is most definitely displeasing! [​IMG] I'm so glad that I'm done with the turkeys for the year!

5. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    We have grown our own Bronze birds for many years, about 15- and actually have a shot of Eastern Wild in them, about 2 generations ago.

This summer, due to the belief that our last Bronze hen had disapeared, we purchased 20 BBW birds as chicks, from I believe Ideal. We have just finished processing those that are intended to be ate. The biggest Tom weighed 55 live, but most were down b/w 35 and 40 lb live. These are far meatier, and heavier than any Bronze bird we've ever raised- of course, we do not raise the BBB birds.

We have 6 of these BBW birds left, as of right now, my parents have a trio that they plan to keep back, and I have a pair- plus one odd gobbler. I plan to keep my pair, and butcher the odd man in a few weeks. I weighed him yesterday, and he weighed 38- but he is the smaller of the two-- but he has very little interest in being a male; so butcher he goes. Hopefully, b/w my parents and I, with our 5 breeder birds, we can get some young ones to hatch out next spring, and get these birds to reproduce successfully-- although I have my doubts. My hen has been squatting now for a couple of weeks, and I did watch the big tom try to mount her yesterday, it was a site to see... I really hope he can cover her naturally. If not, I've got a young trio of Bronze birds, and hopefully the dark jake will be able to cover that monster hen next spring.

All in all, we ended up growing out almost 50 young poults this year, and have our last mature hen who hatched out her second batch about 2 weeks ago, for the year- luckily this batch only has about 6 in it, instead of the 15 she hatched in May. We have not butchered any of the Bronze birds yet-- that'll start in about another month. I know my parents have an old mature pair left, and plan to keep back a new, young trio-- as well as I've taken a young trio up to my place.

So I guess that means, that between all of us, we'll have 5 breeder BBW birds, and 8 of the old school Bronze's...

6. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I didn't know the BBWs could be naturally bred. Or, are you planning to AI or crossbreed on something else?
    I can hardly wait to move somewhere with some land and try raising turkeys. All those cool breeds! Can the BBBronze breed naturally? Do they fly?

7. kfacres

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:

8. Looking4ewes

Looking4ewes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2010
    My turkeys are on pasture. What finish weight are people targeting for the Thankgiving market?

9. kfacres

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:depends 100% and soley on the prospective buyer's and what they are wanting... Most likely, people on here won't have much advise for that, other than what's been given.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by