1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

turkeys for egg-laying?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by turkeymom, Jun 3, 2011.

1. turkeymom

turkeymom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    SE Tennessee
    Hi! I'm wondering if anyone keeps turkeys primarily as egg-layers and what kind.
    We live in the south and our single Bourbon Red hen has been a terrific layer - pretty much every day since before Christmas. I swear some days she will lay very early in the am and then again just before dark. She is just now slowing down and only laying every other day.
    I'm wondering if this is typical for turkeys or if she is just a gem. I really want some more turkeys (maybe Royal Palms, since they are so pretty) and I need to justify the expense [​IMG]

2. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    This may be a stupid question, but do you eat the eggs?

3. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    I've eaten some of my turkey eggs. Especially the first few of the season. The yolks are kind of weird until you get 'em mixed up good, but they taste fine.

My bourbon red laid about 5 eggs per week this spring, until she started setting.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I must say that turkey eggs taste better than any other egg. It has a smooth, silkie taste (if that makes any sense). When my girls are not broody, I pick their eggs and have them from breakfast. [​IMG]

I don't like chicken eggs anymore. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. turkeymom

turkeymom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    SE Tennessee
    Oh, yeah, we love the eggs. Honestly, my husband tested them (I just like them covered in cheese, so I couldn't tell) and couldn't tell a difference from chicken eggs. I have a hard time getting the shells open and have to use a knife, but other than that, they're great. Plus, the people we give our chicken eggs to never want the turkey eggs (!!!), so I never have to share.

6. chickenlover96

chickenlover96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    i love thae taste of turkeys eggs there so good

7. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    That's what I do. They make great scrambled eggs, and are good for baking. I'm done with hatching out for the year, so I'm eating the eggs now. My hubby prefers them over chicken eggs. If they'd lay all year round, I'd just raise turkeys. [​IMG] The membranes are really tough, though, so I break them by chopping them with a steak knife to keep from getting shells in whatever I'm cooking. You can literally peel a raw turkey egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by