Turkeys in Minnesota?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by GrayDragon, Oct 25, 2009.

1. GrayDragon

GrayDragon Chillaxin

Sep 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I was going to buy turkeys at the same time I bought chickens from Welp Hatchery, but apparently they won't ship the self-replicating variety to Minnesota.

Anyone know why or where in Minnesota I can purchase a good self-replicating variety? Seems silly to buy a dozen new hatchlings every year, sort of kills the self-sufficiency aspect.

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Try your local Craigs list or if you have a local sale paper.

Steve in NC

3. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    That, or try Strombergs, Murray McMurry, Ideal......, there's a blue million of them, or there are tons of breeders on here that ship, right now's a bad time to be getting some, as most have quit for the year, and it's probley pretty cold up your way too.
    I'd wait till it thaws back out up your way, if you were wanting poults shipped in.

4. Engteacher

Engteacher Poultry, Poetry, and Prose

Sep 1, 2009
    Hastings, MN
    Duane Urch in Owatonna raises heritage breeds. I can send you his current price list and order form if you're interested. Otherwise, you can look at last year's list here . Scroll down to message number 14.

5. GrayDragon

GrayDragon Chillaxin

Sep 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Oh, that would work. He's well within driving distance and has the type I want (standard bronze).

I don't like the thought of buying breeding stock through Craigslist.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by