Turkey's laying in Arizona

jennm1314

Hatching
Aug 30, 2016
I have read many of the posts about when turkey's lay eggs. But, in Arizona because of the warmth sometimes things are backward. I was just wondering if they would lay sooner then March or April or even if they would start laying year round. Most of my turkeys hatched at the start of May and are from an online hatchery. Thank you!

I have read many of the posts about when turkey's lay eggs. But, in Arizona because of the warmth sometimes things are backward. I was just wondering if they would lay sooner then March or April or even if they would start laying year round. Most of my turkeys hatched at the start of May and are from an online hatchery. Thank you!

You can PM @desertmarcy for information on how her hens act since she is in Arizona. I would expect them to start laying earlier in the year than mine do because your daylight hours are longer than mine.

Good luck.

Some of mine start laying as early as mid-February, but most start sometime in March. It is not so much the heat as it is the day length. I'm in Tucson. April, they are all in full swing. Mine have really tapered off now, end of August. I'm still getting some eggs, maybe 5-6 a day out of about 60 hens.

Mine started laying around Christmas time but I'm in Central, PA lol. I had a light on for them in the coop that I would shut off every evening around 8:00-8:30. They didn't have a run then and with ask the snow, they were in the coop mostly and I felt bad without a light on for them. The just stopped laying about a month ago and a couple girls are in full molt and looking rather raggedy.

Thank you. I have thought about a light for them. Still trying to figure out how many we are keeping and how many we are butchering

THANK YOU very much! I am glad that she already responded. I have 38 right now and I need to maybe bring it down to around 8...

Back
Top Bottom