1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkey's life span

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by haystack613, Sep 6, 2014.

1. haystack613

haystack613 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2014
    I'm have a broad breasted bronze hen that I love so much but I just learned that she isn't going to live that long :hit because they are raised for meat meaning they weigh more and not pets like I intended on.So , I was wanting to know what turkey breed has a longer lifespan and that is really sweet,Thanks! :hugs

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    As I mentioned, in the thread on her `socialization' skills... Just keep her foraging around, Schedule her feeding, and limit it to specific amount. One member reported keeping a BB hen alive for 11 yrs. Average seems to be about 5 if not allowed to gorge on crumbles and pellets. But, again, more activity/fewer calories from regular feed (keep her out eating bugs/stripping seed heads from grass) is the best strategy.

Heritage varieties maintained well? 8-12 yrs. Hen's fertility drops off significantly at seven years, or so.

Any of these varieties will do: http://www.porterturkeys.com/ Keep in mind, these turkeys fly (Palm hens are light weight and ours `wing it' quite a bit during their first couple of years).

Our first RP's were supposedly from a show quality line. Breeding in-and-in for `perfection' of conformation, before the judges, can introduce its own set of problems less obvious than those demonstrated in Whites & Bronzes bred for meat. But the potential for problems pales in comparison to the commercial varieties.

Your BB hen might waddle along for longer than advertised.

3. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Make sure you limit feed and offer lots of fresh fruit and veggies. We have a BBW who actually escaped from a processing plant and eventually made her way to us, she is over 9 years old now. She still gets up and walks around, although she is slowing down a bit. She has been a great pet. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by