1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkeys On Heat At Five Weeks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenson2003, Aug 25, 2016.

1. jenson2003

jenson2003 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2016
    quik question, can i have turkeys outside at five weeks as i have a very adoptive broody and i want turkey in time for xmas my chckens were ok outside at 5 weeks so i was wondering if i could have a 5 week old as thats what theyre selling at my local farm

also can you sex them at five weeks as i dont want a huge carcass or very loud

2. Barrios

Barrios Just Hatched

Jul 12, 2016
    Ocala Florida
    They should be ok outside in a pen as long as the night time temperature doesn't fall to drastically at night. They don't fair well in the rain so make sure you have a roost with cover to sleep, relax in . Could always put a heat lamp in the pen at night just to be safe. I live in Florida so I put birds out as early as 2 weeks with a lamp at night. Sexing them is difficult at young age and depending on breed can be more difficult to tell. Just a tip until its an adult or at least 6 months old don't have it around the chickens free ranging, it can get sick from the chickens.

3. jenson2003

Jan 5, 2016
    thanks barrios i live in the uk and its real hot so im gonna try to buy a pair also if you could tell me how to actually butcher them as everyone on this site is so clever!!!!

4. jenson2003

Jan 5, 2016
    aswell can you have just grass fed turkeys or does that affect their growth

5. Barrios

Barrios Just Hatched

Jul 12, 2016
    Ocala Florida
    Butchering them is quite simple if you have done a chicken its the same process just a little bigger. Boil some water defeater it cut away lol.you will need to feed it other than grass. A good flock grower.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by