1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkey's personality

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by erinszoo, Jul 8, 2011.

1. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    This is our midget white turkey at 8 weeks. He's big enough that we decided to let him roam the yard with our geese and ducks several times a day so now he follows me every where. I was worried that he might run off or that I might not be able to catch him but he's developing such a personality and likes to "do" whatever I'm doing. We've developed a little game of catching grasshoppers out of the tomato bed where I whack on the tomato vines with a stick making the grasshoppers jump or fall, and then he runs after them. It is so fun to watch him hunting them down but really hard to take a photo of him.

[​IMG]

2. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    All of my toms follow me everywhere. The hens are not as buggy or pesty.

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    The personality of my broadbreasted bronze is great, extremely friendly, which bothers me since I got them as dinner. My Royal Palm crosses are very aloof and fearful. Maybe in the future I can find a breed with both qualities.

4. weirdturkeyfreak

weirdturkeyfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    The turkey "picked" you. Which means everything you do he'll be curious about, and also you
    can house train him, and put him on a harness and leash and walk him like a dog.

But I'm so excited! You have a critically endangered turkey! Or so I've read from the (ALBC) American Livestock Breeds Conservency
    they breed rare and endangered animals. (if I'm mistaken please correct me but I highly doubt)

Sincerely,
    Jackie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by