Turkeys sleep laid out like noodles

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by zowieyellowflame, Jun 26, 2011.

1. zowieyellowflame

zowieyellowflame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Hello,
    I have had my 2 week old turkeys for 4 days now. They are from the feed store. When they sleep, they plaster themselves to the floor (shavings). Temp is about mid 70's. I thought something was wrong..... is this normal? I have not given roosts. Should I? I thought 2 week old turkeys should be in the 80s but when it is, they seem to pant so I keep it in the 70's.

2. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    They are just not ready to roost yet, they will catch on soon enough. As we speak my 4-5 week old turkeys are sleeping in a pile on the floor lol, sometimes they sleep on the roost, sometimes on the waterer, sometimes in a pile lol. They keep themselves so caught up investigating everything all day and being nosy that they pretty much fall asleep wherever they happen to be at the moment lol

3. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Also the bedding under the light should be in the 90's not 70's, after 4-6 wees when they start getting more feathers they can have less heat, they get cold easy and if you have that area warmer they will go there when they are cold and when they get hot they will go away from it.

4. zowieyellowflame

Jun 11, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Quote:The heat lamp I have is giant and tends to heat their entire enclosure so I have discovered a gallon jug of water filled with hot water makes them happy. They curl up next to it and have a sleep sometimes. Just like a big hen!

5. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    If `noodled' out, the temp is about right:

[​IMG]

6. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    yes it is the funniest things. I thought mine were dead on numerous occaisions. it is there instinct to sleep so still like that.

7. zowieyellowflame

Jun 11, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    I have the day off today so I keep checking on them. They eat, drink and play for a bit.... I hung a clear plastic bottle in their pen suspended from the ceiling. They like to push it and see what happens. [​IMG] Then they get tired and noodle out close to each other. During their last play session, one was doing the "chest pumping, turkey strut" move. For the first time ever! so cute!

8. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    If you give them an 8 inch high roost, they will sleep on it with their tails hanging down off one side and their heads hanging down of the other. Very cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by