Turkeys that roost up high

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by stroud2009, Jul 10, 2016.

1. stroud2009

stroud2009 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2015
    We are new to owning turkeys , so we are learning as we go . We have 2 turkeys and 17 chickens that house together . Our turkeys keep roosting up on the roof of their coop. What can we do? They aren't say enough to stay out in the open . I'm on vacation and my husband just clipped their wings . They kept flying over the fence , into the roof of our house , they would get into our front porch lol we would love any advice.

2. amynrichie

amynrichie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    Wing clipping works only if you clip one side. I have mine in a covered run so they cannot fly out.

3. stroud2009

Oct 9, 2015
    I checked with my husband , and he said he only clipped one of their wings . Is there a way he could have done it wrong ?

4. amynrichie

amynrichie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    [​IMG]

He probably clipped them ok. If the bird is too light, it may be no use. I just clipped a rooster's wing the other day and hopped right up and flew over the fence. I have to keep my young turkeys under a covered run if I don't want them roosting on the buildings.

5. stroud2009

Oct 9, 2015
    With our last chicken coop area , we had one of those nets above the top so they couldn't fly out . We recently completely move their coop area to our fenced in front yard that they share with the kids . Their new coop was designed so if I didn't want to let them free range they still had plenty of room.. But this was designed before I decided randomly to bring home two turkeys . I was thinking of making enclosing the roof some how To protect them from predators ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by