Turkeys--What's the chances?

LinckHillPoultry

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hi everyone.
I have 4 turkeys... a pair of royal palms... and a bourbon red and a blue slate.
Both my bourbon red and my blue slate have beards, and I know that there is such thing as a bearded hen...but my friend SWEARS they're both hens.
What is the chance that they'd both be hens?!
I mean I can see having one bearded hen...but two?!

And BTW they will both be 1 year in April.

What are your opinions?

Post a pic..I am sure someone on here can tell you if they are hens/toms at a year old. Typically a hen does not get a beard exactly like a tom..it is very straggly and thin.

How about the snood? Does it retract - go from big to small? At that age a tom should be doing that. A hen wouldn't and hers would stay small.

Jody

I would say post a pic. That would help alot to help determine Tom/Hen.
Funny you and I have the same mix...I have a pair of RP, a blue slate hen, and a bronze hen. Happy hatching!

thomass.jpg

^ This is our bourbon red. Not a very recent picture. You can't see the beard developing yet. I'll try to get a recent picture of them when I go out to take care of chores.

Last edited:
I have to say a young jenny(hen), judging buy the feathering on the back of the neck and head..
wink.png

Beards are not very common on hens but ive seen a few in my days...

Charlie

Last edited:
We had a BBW hen that had a beard. She layed eggs, didn't gobble and the clusterings of knbby red flesh (don't know what they're called) on her head stayed relatively small.

On the Burbon Red if on the breast the chestnut color is laced with black it is a Tom and if it is laced in white it is a Hen. Judging by the picture I would say Hen.
Sharon in NC

Back
Top Bottom