Turkeys with chest cold

moglison

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 5, 2013
Hello my turkeys have come down with what seem to be a cold they cough and sneeze. 1 of the 5 also has a swollen sinus passage below its eye and a foamy eye. We had duramycin on hand and followed the dosages I found on this forum. After three days of duramycin I switched to tylan 50 oral injections of 1cc each bird as they are larger then chickens. It has now been three days of twice daily injections and they seem not better if not slightly worse. Please help with any suggestions. Also the local tsc only had tylan 50 that was expiring this month in case that is of great importance. I also am trying to get them to eat garlic by mincing it in with hard boiled eggs.

Once, as a kid, I had pneumonia. They treated me with Penicillin. It's also good for wounds. So maybe you should try injecting that once a day. Twin cities poultry supply has some super great guides to antibiotics and treatments. You may want to email them for some copies.
I also like L-S 50. It's cover alot of different bacteria.

Last edited:
Make sure that your turkeys are getting exposure to outside air. Even if it's 10 or so degrees outside, as long as it is a sunny day it will help them. If you can't get them outside, make sure that there is a lot of ventilation in their coop and put a heat lamp or two to warm it up for them. Last but not least add some cayenne pepper to Warmwater and only give them this water as their drinking option.

Yes they get plenty of fresh air and are closed in at night to keep them warm. Thanks got the cayenne tip. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Last edited:
Mid thirties during the day and in the mid to upper twenties at night for the past week.

They are finally getting better. The swelling has gone down and their breathing is more clear but still has hints of congestion. I was waiting to see them notably better for more than 24 hrs as they have gone back and forth. I do not know how long exactly they were sick for. I have been treating them for about a week and a half between the duramycin and tylan. I started the tylan on the 2nd and gave them duramycin for three days prior. This all came about when I left for the holidays and our caretaker left them out for a "night", yet I doubt it only happen once sadly.

Well new update, Sadly as I was about to stop giving the turkey Tylan a few days ago their symptoms have seem to have returned. How long should I attempt to give them the Tylan. At this point I fear the bacteria is resistant. What other antibiotic should I use? Please help them seem to be almost worse than before I started treatment.

Back
Top Bottom