1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkeys with chickens

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by WolfLarsen85, Mar 18, 2015.

1. WolfLarsen85

WolfLarsen85 New Egg

Mar 17, 2015
    Hi all, I know this post has been made before, but I haven't quite found the answers I am looking for. So, I ordered 6 chickens. They get here in a week. I already brought home 3 turkeys a week ago. They are growing like crazy! I am now a bit concerned with the brooding situation. I think they are going to be too large for the chicks. Should I set up two brooders? Would this interfere with them becoming a flock?

I am not worried about blackhead. I have talked to a lot of people in town, who have successfully raised turks and chickens together, many times.

Thanks,
    I'll try and get pics up soon

2. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    It sounds to me like your turkey poults will be at least two weeks old when you get your chicks. I think it would be best to have two separate brooders for at least the first few weeks. I have raised chicks and poults together but not with that much age difference. And turkeys really need a higher protein feed than chicks do.
    It's not likely that it would interfere with them becoming a flock. Mine seem get along just fine and make good flock mates if blackhead isn't a problem. [​IMG]

3. WolfLarsen85

WolfLarsen85 New Egg

Mar 17, 2015
    Thanks! We were thinking of doing that, so I started setting up a second brooder. The turkeys will actually be three weeks old when the chicks get here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by