Turkeys with chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SAHMof2, May 15, 2011.

1. SAHMof2

SAHMof2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Hello. Today is my first day with chicks ... lost one already tonight (posted sorrows already).

I have four turkeys in with the chicks and every once in a while I hear a rather loud cheap coming from the brooder. When I observe them it seems like a turkey is being, well, a big jerky turkey. Should I remove the four turkeys? I figured I'd have to in a week or so but I've got nothing except my own neurotic thoughts buzzing around in my head!

Thank you.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I brooded my turkeys with chicks, without issue, but they all hatched within a week of each other.

Some pecking order issues will happen with any group. Are the chicks being injured?

3. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    i kept my two turkeys with my chicks until they were big enough to be outside. never had any problems.

4. SAHMof2

Sep 11, 2010
    Thank you very much. I'm looking forward to keeping them together if I can as long as no one looses an eye.

I figured it could be pecking order but I've never actually seen it before. Its like watching your kids on the playground. [​IMG]

5. Sugroxz

Sugroxz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Pleasant Hope, Missouri
    I have my Turkey Poult with my chicks but they are close to the same age and at first they had some disagreements but seem to get over them pretty fast.. Now they all get along great.. The Turkey thinks it's a chick..

6. SAHMof2

Sep 11, 2010
    As far as I can tell none are getting injured. The turkeys strut around jabbing at the chicks beaks or eyes. The chicks let out a cheep or flutter away or try to get'em back and then let out a cheeeep. They step all over eachother and then snuggle up tight. As long as no one is going to die I'm okay. I just don't know what to expect. This chick business isn't for the hyper paraniod!

7. SAHMof2

Sep 11, 2010
    Woah. Been reading several posts and it seems they are very very over crowded. I have 25 birds in a 3x3 box. Will be rectifying that tmo a.m.

8. Mentzer6

Mentzer6 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    Being overcrowded makes a big difference in how much birds get bullied. I know I have to do several splits when I have chicks in brooders as they grow. Good luck and hope they all grow up healthy and happy! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by