Turkeys with ducks & Deep Liter method???????

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by fowlsessed, Mar 21, 2013.

1. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Will I have to worry about Black Head if I'm keeping the turkeys in the same night (and when we are away) quarters as ducks? And do they generally get along? Also, how do they do using the Deep Litter method, fine?
    Thanks,

2. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    In my opinion, it is best to give them each their own living space. Here's why: while I was remodeling and expanding my duck house to make a more comfortable environment for all of my ducks I kept the ducks in the turkey house overnight with my young turkeys. Second day in I was patching up a giant flap of torn skin on my rouen duck's back. The turkeys decided they didn't want to share their house and it got bloody. While this may not be the case for you, I think the ducks (slow moving, short claws and legs, rounded bill, ground dwelling) are better off living separately from the turkeys (quick, long legs, long claws, sharp beak, sort of skilled flyers, massive size).

3. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Yes, I figure it may cause some problems.

4. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Silly me, I forgot to mention anything about blackhead. Talk to your county extension office poultry person about whether or not it is a known problem in your area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by