Turkeys with foamy yellowish poop

greenfingers

Songster
12 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Wasilla, Alaska
I recently bought 2 BB turkeys, they are now about 10 weeks old. My bad, I didn't think to isolate them for a while before putting them in with a couple of my chickens of a similar age. A couple of weeks after I got them, one of them started sneezing a LOT, then the other one started sneezing quite often too. I read on this site and thought maybe they needed vitamins, so I tried that, but then they stopped sneezing. They had no other symptoms - no lethargy, no change in appetite, no nasal discharge, no eye problems. Now they seem normal, but still have the poop that isn't right. Any ideas? The chickens don't seem to have anything wrong with them, seem healthy, poop normal. Did/do my turkeys have a disease?

If its normal now.. why worry about it ? you say its normal now , right? Maybe they did have something.. not sure but if its normal now .. dont worry.
I give mine Bird powder to make sure they get the bacteria and stuff they need. It has live naturaly occuring microorganisms they need to have. Its for all birds.Look into that..

I think not everything is a disease with them.I amn really just a noobie with these birds but I dont doctor every little sneeze or ailment. I think sometimes its just a change of food.. new food added or surroundings.. maybe allergies or some kind of different pollen they might got into their noses..
Same with the poop.. my turkey and Guinea had runny and off colored poop when I first let them out into their run with gras, bugs and some treats. I am sure their digestive system has to get used to it just like ours.
Heck I eat mexican food and my stomach goes into a revolte.
We sneeze .. its not like every bird that sneezes sometimes has a viral or whatnot infection. I can see where they are molting and someone gets dander or a small feather in their noses.

I didnt run to my doc with every little thing with my child either. To many meds and to freely given doesnt help the imune system.

I am prolly really wrong here but thats just my personal observation and opinion.

thanks toredano - I agree to not treating every little thing. But it is my chickens that have the regular poop - the turkeys still have a foamy, yellowish poop that seems extra slimey. ?????

The yellow foamy poop is a sign of Chronic Respiratory Disease, you will see it listed also as CRD. It's a catch all for a respiratory issue - ie a cold. And is brought on by alot of things, them getting cold or wet, if any of your other birds have it or had it in the past. Sometimes they get over it sometimes not, young birds usually will die from it. It will spread thru the flock if they are kept together. Isolate and contain is what to do in any sickness.

You basicly have 2 options, keep them isolated (in either case). wait and see or medicate. If it's mild it should clear up if not, remember that cold you had one time that just wouldn't go away until you went to the doctor? Left untreated it will get more serious. You can use a natural remidy or antibiotic. I would recommend

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=2&mscssid=ME9LH5J47TW78K6HVF8WPEHB8TMT7MA9

most feed stores carry it.

Toredano - I agree with you on the overuse of meds, I go by the "only the strong survive" method myself and it does work, sickness here is pretty much zero here after selective breeding. And you are also correct a change in envioroment and feed will change the poo. You aren't wrong, the more opinions we get the more we all know. No one method is totaly correct what works for me may or may not work for you.

Steve in NC

Back
Top Bottom