turkeys with mycoplasma gallisepticum? Now pics included...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Terri O, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi--I have posted on the turkey board and this is what came back. I have done a bunch of reading and now am terrified about the ramifications for the rest of my flock. I have injected the turkeys with inj. Tylan as instructed. THe turkeys(4months) are separated from the "free rangers" only by a cyclone fence. THe turkeys are in with 6 young guineas, 2 young Americaunas (for my breeding project) and 11 newly hatched muskovies and their mama. Are all these other birds going to get sick too? Where do I find Tylan water soluable and should I give it to all the birds in this pen? WHat about the couple of times the turkeys have flown over the 6' fence and have been walking with the rest of my flock? Am I totally screwed or what? Please HELP! Thanks! Terri O

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is this what this looks like? How panicked should I be?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  2. Terri O

Anyone? Please? T

3. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The "shotgun" approach to medicating is not the way to go. Only medicate the birds that are sick.

The over use of antibiotics is the reason that there are drug resistant strains of bacteria out there.

It could be MG or a few other things as well. It would be best to have vet find out exactly what you are dealing with.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  4. Terri O

That is what i am doing at present. I was just wondering if it would be better to treat the others that are exposed in the same pen...then I do not have to move the sick ones and perhaps infect more of my farm. T

5. Terri O

Update--the turkeys that have had 2 days of shots are looking very good, nearly normal. THe other 4 are starting to improve! I am happy but have heard that it is not a good idea to use them for breeding as they will always be carriers. T

6. epitidios

epitidios Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Terri O what kind of medication did you use to treat them? Are they totally clean now?

7. Terri O

Yes they seem to be. I have not seen any recurrence and they are gaining weight steadily. I used Tylan50 in the water and Tylan200 (for a very small dose) as an injectible. One dose under the skin and one in the breast for 3 days. They had the medicine in the water for 2 weeks concurrently with the shots. Terri O

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by