Turkeys

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sandieveazey, Feb 6, 2016.

1. sandieveazey

sandieveazey New Egg

Feb 6, 2016
    Hi, I am new to raising turkeys and they have been doing their thing for a month and I got first egg yesterday but the male cracked it and was eating it, can I separate them and still have firtile eggs or do they need to be kept together?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm afraid I'm not a turkey person but I'm sure if you pop by the turkey section of the forum the keepers there will be able to help you. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/20/turkeys

Wishing you the by best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us.

No experience with Turkeys, but doubt you'll have fertile eggs if you do separate them.

Are you wanting to hatch soon, if not, IMO separate them until you need those fertile eggs.

4. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    You can separate them for a little bit before needing to be with the hen. Hens can preserve sperm cells for quite a while. As for the exact amount of days I don't know.

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree with Birdrain. Please post on the "Turkey thread," and the folks there can give you more information. You can find out how long after breeding, a hen turkey will have fertile eggs. Then have them together for limited time, so the male can't destroy the eggs.

Sounds like he wants to duck out of paying turkey support.

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by