Turkeys

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by laura29532, Sep 11, 2016.

1. laura29532

laura29532 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

3. laura29532

Jul 18, 2016
    these are my recent pics of my blue slate turkey and pair of midget whites.
    they all look alike to me. tried to find a easy way of sexing them, they are all four months old.
    I read where the females have feathers on their heads. can anyone tell me how to tell the difference.
    when my roosters start crowing my biggest white will go to their fence, puff all up looking
    to rumble..I thought maybe he was a tom, although maybe he just doesn't like the rooster.! lol
    I have tried everything I read about telling them apart but I'm at a lost. Their gate looks alike, the
    heads and necks as well..I bought each as a pair, I lost my other blue slate when it was a month old.
    they are all beautiful but I'd love to know if I have all females or maybe one out of the bunch a boy..:)
    The blue slate and smaller of the midget seem to like each other, they rub their heads and necks together
    and make cute little noises..I'm told their way too young to be mating..The blue slate makes a loud glug, glug
    sound, its the only difference I can tell of all three..

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    They are beautiful!

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  5. laura29532

Jul 18, 2016
    Thank you..

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You're welcome!

-Kathy

7. laura29532

Jul 18, 2016
    today I ordered and being shipped four new additions to my turkey family. I am getting a Tom and four pretty 3 month old hen blue slates.
    Trouble, my blue slate hen will be so happy to have company. so will I, shes getting way to people friendly with everyone.!! lol
    she followed my neighbor across the back field yesterday, she loves his red shoes..still trying to figure out how she escaped, he brought her back..so I am pretty excited to get some company to keep her put..I have eight blue slate eggs in the incubator, six are good to go, so I'm real excited about that too coming up on the 13th..also have a few Holland whites and Royal Palms that are ready to hatch a few days apart..thank god for the extra incubator..I had it all set up to go three days before they were shipped..yay..turkeys, turkeys everywhere...:)

8. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    You might want to put this in the turkey part of the forum

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

How exciting!

10. laura29532

Jul 18, 2016
    Really need some info..my bourbon red seemed to have trouble seeing last night..she was walking the fence bumping into to everything like she was blind.I put them in their shed before dark as usual, I had to catch her,she did put up a fight..I checked her nostrils, eyes and vent, nothing..no issues at all there..about a half hour later I went to check on her, she was roosting fine, still acting a little funny..I had my light on my key ring(dim) and flashed it near her, she seemed to see the light..this morning at 3:00am I went to check again, she was definitely back to her old self..I could find nothing as to temporary blindness..my daughter watches a lot of animal kingdom ,she said there's a segiment on birds eating stink bugs, having the same reactions as my red..confusion,blindness,could this be.? We have had an unusual high amounts of stink bugs this year,(they come in on the laundry off the line). It just sounded so crazy to me..rubix cube is back to her old self today, spirited,jumping around, flapping her wings running around..you'd never think it was the same bird as last night..it all lasted about 30-45 mins..and wore right off quickly..anyone else have ever had these issues.? Don't mind saying I was scared to death, first thought, Merek`s,coccil or something real bad..they've all been vaccinated,but I read it's not always 100%..my birds are spoiled, 30% protein feed, fresh greens, garlic in water once a week, fresh herbs, oregano,thyme,etc ..very healthy diets..my 5 month old hens weighed 18-2o lbs. My six month olds 22 & 24 1/2 this week's weigh in. My Tom is six months weighed 27 lbs two weeks ago..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by