Turkeys

thomascmrn

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2016
Hi I'm a turkey um I have a royal palm and a red bourbon if I mix them does anyone know what the baby poults will look like or is there maby a name I've been looking but I haven't got a correct answer on what they will look like when my Royal palm and red bourbon breeds so can some one help me with that thx

When I sell them I don't want to put like a name of the bird and it not even be the right bird name

Hi I'm a turkey um I have a royal palm and a red bourbon if I mix them does anyone know what the baby poults will look like or is there maybe a name I've been looking but I haven't got a correct answer on what they will look like when my Royal palm and red bourbon breeds so can some one help me with that thx

If your tom is the Bourbon Red, all of the poults will be Red Bronze.

http://www.porterturkeys.com/redbronze.htm

Scroll down at that site and you can see the Red Bronze poults.

If your tom is the Royal Palm, all of the female poults will be Golden Narragansetts and all of the male poults will be Red Bronze.

http://www.porterturkeys.com/goldennarragansett.htm

Of course this only applies if the turkeys that you have are pure and not carrying any hidden recessive color genes.

Last edited:
What's a turkey like those kinds go for?

Many people feel that mixed variety turkeys should cost less than varieties that breed true. It is my experience that your local conditions (i.e. customers and competing sellers) are what set the value of turkeys. I have for many years set my prices below the hatchery prices. Watch the local ads to see what others in your local area are selling their turkeys for. Also check the prices at the local feed stores. If you ask too high a price, you can always lower the asking price.

Yeh I was on cregslist and someone had little poults for 30$ and I was like dang then I look on the and he hasn't sold any lol but yeh my turkeys came from a feed store I paid 13 and got 2 ducks so yeh probly put em up for 10 I trade my one red bourbon tom for the royal Palm hen I had to cuz I had 2 tons and they kept on fighting and I didn't want that and I wish I could post a pic on this thing I would show u my 2 but I d k how to use it lol

Yeh I was on cregslist and someone had little poults for 30$ and I was like dang then I look on the and he hasn't sold any lol but yeh my turkeys came from a feed store I paid 13 and got 2 ducks so yeh probly put em up for 10 I trade my one red bourbon tom for the royal Palm hen I had to cuz I had 2 tons and they kept on fighting and I didn't want that and I wish I could post a pic on this thing I would show u my 2 but I d k how to use it lol

$30 for pure year old turkeys is not unreasonable but for day to week old poults is ridiculous. Pricing can also vary greatly on the time of the year. I know that new poults at this time of the year are almost impossible to sell in my area but it is a whole different situation in the spring.

The problem with two equal toms is how long it takes for them to settle which one is dominant and because they are evenly matched the fights can get pretty vicious and very long lasting.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom