1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkeys...

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Djmiller012, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Djmiller012

Djmiller012 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2007
    Tabor, IA
    I as online at another forum and I had told them I had gotten a baby turkey, and they had mentioned they are very mean..anyone out there that has first hand experience? Thankyou!

2. wolfpack62001

wolfpack62001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    New Brockton, Alabama
    Ive raised about every breed of turkey you can emagine.
    They really arnt that mean and to the breed will have a temperment too
    About the only time they will act up is during the laying season, and thats only if you have a bunch of Toms and few hens.
    Watch your chicks close, they are Dumb as rocks, if there is a storm they will pyle and if they are outside they will drown themselves.
    Hope this helped

3. Djmiller012

Mar 31, 2007
    Tabor, IA
    thanks! we got him/her yesterday, him/her is a Broad Breasted Bronze, and very adorable, thanks for your help!

4. wolfpack62001

wolfpack62001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    New Brockton, Alabama
    I had a Bronze, made him my pet
    Just dont train him to set on your shoulder, you will regret it in about 7 months, I know.

5. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    ive had bourbon red toms .an they wasnt mean.just big old toms an i mean big.now i have 8 blue slate turkeys.5 toms an 3 hens.an they arnt mean either.but they do fight all the time during laying season.then calm down in the fall.

6. Djmiller012

Mar 31, 2007
    Tabor, IA
    Thanks for the answers, because when I hold mine, he is as sweet as pumpkin pie! Just falls right asleep![​IMG]

7. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    When I was casing out the local feed store looking at the chicks and such, they had some BB bronze and white poults. I have never seen baby turkeys before. They reminded me of those dinosaurs from Jurassic Park ha ha. Well they were pretty aggressive and went to pecking at my fingers pretty good, more so than the chicks. One lady told me they were just really curious.

8. meganequine

meganequine Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    I have Bronze turkeys and let me tell you my Tom is so aggressive it's not funny! It's a good thing that I've had him since a chick and know how to handle him when he's being ornery! A good bonk on the head when he tries to come at me and he leaves me alone.

9. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    My neighbor raises turkeys. They say they are only "mean" in breeding season. I know when I go over tere, the toms talk to me. its pretty funny, after I say something they make noises, like they are talking to me.

10. mr. norm

mr. norm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2007
    hi
    I have found turkeys to be nasty WHEN i put a younger(smaller) turkey in with them, or if a chicken should get into their pen,its pretty much all over for mr chicken:(,other than that I have no problem at all with them
    mr.norm
    monroe tenessee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by