Turkeys

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CricketYang, Dec 13, 2010.

1. CricketYang

CricketYang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Mason, MI
    I have a question: We raised a few BBW turkeys this year, started them on 22%, 18 weeks %16% and then at 22 just straight corn. We got one processed the other day, let it rest in the fridge for four whole days, smoked it and it was as tough as LEATHER!! WHY??? I figured I wouldn't have to brine it bc it was smoked but I'm not sure. What else can I do to make them not taste like rocks?! I'm having family over this weekend and they're expecting yummy home-grown turkey! Also, the processed bird had huge veins on it's skin, you never see that in store bought birds, why is this?

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I don't know anything about Turkey's but I do know that you are not supposed to feed ANY animal JUST corn. It is not a complete food and lacks all the amino acids needed by the body.

3. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    The veins are from not bleeding out properly. Possibly the cooking method could have mad them tough. Not really sure, but I haven't had too many complaints unless they are overcooked. That will kill a fresh turkey that has been raised on pasture. The meat is more lean and there is no added water so they cook fast.

4. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    I agree it was not bled right. I raise only haritage breeds so I have never cooked a BB type I have raised. How was it smoked? When we smoke a turkey, it is low temp, 250deg for about 10 hours. When it goes on the smoker, I let it smoke for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours then I wrap it in heavy foil. 1 , so it doesn't get too smokey and 2, so it doesnt dry out. I have never finished any bird on just corn.

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

I agree on the bleeding and have to question the feeding of just corn at the end, we supplement with corn only. What was the internal meat temp when you were cooking? They will get tough when over cooked.

Steve

6. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    We have had three turkeys this year, all brined, and all remarkably flavorful and juicy. One was a Midget White, two were Bourbon Reds, all male so far. Maybe try brining your next one? THey DID cook faster than store bought birds cook.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by