Turkeys

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SAHMof2, Jul 10, 2011.

1. SAHMof2

SAHMof2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Hi there. This is not a disease or an emergency (to my knowledge) so I'm thinking this is where to post my question.

I have raise 4 bourbon red turkeys and 21 wyndottes since two days old. They are all doing very well except one turkey. I"ll call her a she because she's so very tiny. She is basically the size of the wyndottes at 8 weeks old. The other three turkeys are substantially bigger. I see no signs of illness or disease. She is not as big or as wide.

Do I leave her be and enjoy her petitness or is there anything I can give her / do to her that might spring her into action with the other turkeys? I'm guessing if she lives and stays small I'm not going to want to eat her being so small and if I decided to keep her for breeding she's probably produce small young???

Thanks for your time.

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I do not know if it is true with turkey poults or not, but most of my chicks who lag behind the others - eventually catch up. They are just really slow to do so.

3. SAHMof2

Sep 11, 2010
    I sure hope so. In that case I'll keep her and hope she can provide some good eggs in the spring otherwise by the time she catches up she'll be ready for the butcher.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I only have 2 turks this year, but one is alot bigger than the other. I had a runt with the last 3 I raised as well, by the time they were done growing I couldn't tell who the runt was anymore. Good luck- turkeys have the best personalities!

5. SAHMof2

Sep 11, 2010
    Thanks so much. I'll keep on waiting. I've read a bit of ppl giving poly vi sol to give a bit of a boost. Any thoughts on that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by