turkeys

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by BirchHatchery, Mar 26, 2012.

1. BirchHatchery

BirchHatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    indiana
    am looking to get turkeys to have ready for thanksgiving dinner they be free ranged what breed would be best i would like a big plump juicy turkey i dont want a tough bird what breed would be best for me and what the cheapiest place yall have found to order them? and when should i get them to be ready for thanksgiving and are heritage turkeys like bourban reds tough compared to broad breadested whites? kinda like a cornish rock to a barred rock for meat?

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Now is the perfect time to get hatching eggs to be ready Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I have Lots of Bourbon Red Turkey eggs as well as Black Tipped Bronze - both her;itage breeds from porter's heritage turks.

Please message me here if you need some. Also have the eggs posted in "other poultry" for sale if you want to look at some of our picks.

Here are photos from our website:
    http://thegarryfarm.yolasite.com/the-garry-farm-turkeys.php

Please let me know by messaging here or [email protected]....Thanks and have a blessed day. Nancy

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I did Bourbon Reds and Blue Slates last year and was very pleased. I got the poults the last week of April and the toms averaged 18 lbs and the hens 11 lbs when they were butchered the Saturday before Thanksgiving. They were not tough, but I brined them prior to roasting. This year I am going to raise BBW. I am hoping to get them mid to late August. I bought my BR/BS poults from Eagle Nest Poultry and they were $5 each.

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We did BBB, black spanish, and blue slate last year. They were all good. I prefer the heritage breeds myself and that is all we are raising this year. I ordered from Cackle and they will get here in mid-April.

5. BirchHatchery

Nov 2, 2009
    indiana
    i just think 5 dollars a turkey is expensive and then you have to order 15 thats about 100 bucks with shiping by the time you get 15 turkeys just does not seem worth it to me ive been looking around here for turkeys locally all the feed stores carry is the white broad brest and the bronze broad breasted thought about gettim those but they will be ready to butcher in august guess i jus freeze them. or i was going to wate and see what i can i find the swap meat here in indiana may 5th and get about 5 heritage breeds and butcher them right before thanks giving i just dont want a tough bird as i will be feeding a purdy big family of about 15 people

6. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Five bucks seems like alot, but for what you end up with, it's not that bad. Here is how I looked at it. If I spend $1.50 per chick for CX, and they dress out at 4 pounds, that's 38 cents per pound in the chick. If I buy a $5 poult that turns into a 15 pounds of meat, that's only 33 cents per pound in the chick. It is expensive, but the return is well worth it.

7. BirchHatchery

Nov 2, 2009
    indiana
    dont sound bad chicken meat here is going for 98 cents a pound in the store i can get Feed for 12 dollars for 75 pounds of broiler feed

8. BirchHatchery

Nov 2, 2009
    indiana
    also in terms of tenderness will the broad breasted turkeys be more tender than a heritage turkeys kinda like comparing cornish to-barred rocks?

9. BirchHatchery

Nov 2, 2009
    indiana
    well i ended up buying 5 day old braod bronze beasted turkeys today their in the brooder sleeping they told me to butcher them in 20 weeks wich would be end of august correct? i heard of putting a fine layer of fat on them before they get the deed done so i should feed strait cracked corn the last week of life? i am also going to be feeding them only 20 percent protien for their entire life and they will be free ranging

10. BirchHatchery

Nov 2, 2009
    indiana
    ????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by