1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by holly777, Mar 30, 2015.

1. holly777

holly777 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2014
    I am still new to this still figuring out the website but I have a question about two turkey hens. They are both laying well and i have had two eggs go bad on me... I have candled all of them and it seems like there is only one that is fertile but it has a crack in it!!! Will it still hatch out? Also will the hens start sitting on there eggs if I leave them in the nest?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Therr is a turkey forum here if you want to check it out.

How do you know one egg is fertile if the hens aren't setting? As for the crack, it will cause the egg to lose moisture too quickly to have a poult hatch. You could try sealing the crack with wax and see how it goes.

3. holly777

holly777 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2014
    It is like a ten day old egg and I candled it and could see a spec with veins throughout it. But I am leaving the rest with the hens because it isn't going to be getting cold anymore... I am incubating the ones I took from them. I actually sealed it off a when I noticed it cracked.. I guess we will see with The ones I have and the ones they keep... Thanks I'll keep a eye one them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by