turkins

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mekasmom, Apr 14, 2009.

1. mekasmom

mekasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    First off-- If this is the wrong place to post this, Sorry. I wasn't sure which forum to use, but "chicken behaviors" seemed to fit the bill.

What do you all think of turkins? Are they all kind of mean? or is it just mine? I have mostly cochins and some silkies, but recently got a turkin. It is MEAN. Is that normal?

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    My Turkens have never been mean and I've only roos except for my little Woo,, who was supposed to be a roo. They've all been very pleasant to have around.

3. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Actually, our Turken isn't really mean at all. She's a vulture, in every way! She's the first to get to the good food, the first out in the morning, one of the loudest, and very quick. No one messes wth her often. Even the roos beware! But she's a real character. No one else in my small family flock stands out as much as she. She isn't fond of being held but certainly isn't 'mean'. Try to handle yours and hand-feed.

4. mekasmom

mekasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Obviously, I don't know how to spell turken!

I bought mine at the farm auction. He is defiantly a strong-willed rooster. He pecks all the others, repeatedly takes advantage of any hen within seeing distance, guards the food.... He's just a lot meaner than cochins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by